Cloudamize supports the following hypervisor environments:
Collecting Data from both the hypervisor level and a Cloudamize Agent
For the most accurate system-level data and application-level data, you should collect data from both the hypervisor and by installing our agent on each VM. Note that when agents are installed on VMs that we are detecting at the hypervisor level, then in our platform the machine will show up under two separate views. When we detect this configuration, the "Physical View" of the machine should switch to excluded, with the reason being that performance data is being monitored by the hypervisor. The hypervisor view should then show that an agent is installed on that machine.
Also note that if you stop the assessment and add nodes, they will not reconcile without a manual sync from the back-end. If you need to add machines after the assessment begins, add all of the machines and submit a support ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can sync these machines.
Cloudamize can collect data from a VMware environment without the use of an agent. Simply provide us with read-only credentials to the vCenter in order for us to collect data for each virtual machine running on it. Read our instructions for setting this up: here. Using this method, we are able to provide recommendations for 1-to-1 hardware mapping, workload-optimized instances in the cloud, and all TCO numbers for these recommendations.
We are not able to provide application inter-connectivity information for machines which do not have agents installed. You will not be able to use the Migration Planner to create move groups, view application-specific data, and build a migration plan. The VMs will take up 24 hours to appear in the inventory settings.
Cloudamize can collect data from a Hyper-V environment by installing the agent on the hypervisor host machine. Read our instructions for setting this up: here. With an agent installed on the Hyper-V host machine we are able to collect data for all of the virtual machines which are running on that host.
There are a few potential issues to be aware of when only installing an agent on the host machine and not each individual virtual machine:
- Linux virtual machines will not correctly report their operating system information to the Hyper-V host and we will not be able to get this information. This is not an issue when there is an agent installed on the virtual machine.
- If you have dynamic memory disabled at the hypervisor level and you do not have agents installed on the individual virtual machines, then we will not be able to provide accurate memory usage information. This is due to the way virtual machines are statically allocated memory and how they report their usage to the hypervisor.
- We will not be able to provide application inter-connectivity information for machines which do not have agents installed. You will not be able to use the Migration Planner to create move groups, visualize the migration, and build a migration plan.
- Any mounted iSCSI storage devices will not be detected unless Cloudamize agents are installed on the virtual machines using these storage devices.
- The VMs will take up 24 hours to appear in the inventory settings.
Cloudamize can also be utilized for other hypervisor environments such as KVM, XenServer, and Oracle VM Server by installing our agent on each virtual machine. In order for us to provide accurate information you will need to make sure that either the virtual machine is able to access detailed information on the physical CPU on which it is running, or you will need to manually provide us this information for each host. We need this information in order to compare your workload against benchmarking information for the available instances in the cloud. Please contact email@example.com if you are unsure of our support for your specific hypervisor and configuration.