Cloudamize offers the functionality for customers looking to move to AWS to receive Relational Database Services (RDS) recommendations, in conjunction with the AWS SCT Tool. These recommendations require some setup, which we detail below; once complete, the recommendations can be found under the “Database” tab in the Dashboard summary screen; by default, this tab will show the message “RDS recommendation has not been applied to this plan”, until the recommendations have been set up.
This functionality is only available for AWS assessments, and only instances with the Cloudamize Agent installed on it can receive such recommendations due to the type of data collection required. Recommendations are made for Microsoft SQL servers only, but the target RDS database engines can include:
- MS SQL Server
To begin, run the AWS SCT Tool to generate a report for each of the SQL instances that you wish to receive recommendations for AWS RDS. Save these reports for later upload.
[Note]: AWS recommendations are not available for the default designs provided by Cloudamize (eg Hardware Pay-as-you-go, etc). Only custom-built designs support this functionality.
- Register to the Cloudamize platform
- Install CMZ agents on all the target instances that need to be assessed and have recommendations made for Amazon RDS offerings.
- Cloudamize discovery will run; it usually takes 12-24 hours for the discovery to gather all the information about MS SQL Server Instances running in the source environment.
- Once the MS SQL server Instances are discovered, you can now navigate to Settings → Inventory Settings → Pre-Cloud.
- Click on the “SCT Report” section, where you can see a list of all the MS SQL Server Instances discovered by the platform.
- Each row represents a MS SQL Instance.
- If a VM has multiple MS SQL Instances installed on it, each would be listed in its own row on this screen.
- You can now upload each individual SCT report you generated earlier for each of the SQL Instances listed on the screen.
- Once these reports are uploaded, they are ingested by the CMZ Platform, processed and stored for later use.
- Once the assessment has delivered results, you will be able to use these reports by creating custom designs:
- Navigate to Cloudamize application dashboard, and view AWS results, then launch the Designer
- RDS recommendation is only available if you choose either Shared Tenancy or Dedicated Instance in the Tenancy section of the pricing plan.
- RDS recommendations are not available if a you choose Dedicated Hosts for MSSQL Instances
- You can then navigate to “Database Tuning” and perform configuration. Here you can specify the following parameters relating to RDS Recommendations:
- Enable RDS Recommendation: Enabling this checkbox is required for the system to know that RDS recommendations are to be generated for this Design.
- Migration Complexity: This slider can be used to adjust the acceptable complexity factor for the recommendation.
- RDS Pricing Plan: You can specify the pricing plan for the recommendation.
- Deployment: You can specify which deployment options you would like for the Design. It can either be Multi-AZ or Single-AZ.
- Instance Family: You can choose from available Instance Families for the recommendations. The interface will provide choices based on the Region selected for this assessment. You can choose multiple Instance Families for the recommendations.
- Instance Type: You can choose from available Instance Types for the recommendations.
- Once all the required configurations are made you can now build the Design.
- Once the designs are built and have processed, you can then choose the newly created design in the results screen and navigate to the "Database" tab, where you can see the DB recommendations.
- The Database tab will display a list of RDS Instances Cloudamize platform has recommended based on the assessment’s results, the design built, and the SCT report uploaded.
- The following information is available for each RDS Instance:
- Instance Type: Instance Type of the recommended RDS Instance.
- RDS Offering: Which RDS offering is recommended for the given RDS Instance. This is purely derived from the SCR Report.
- DB Engine: Which Database Engine is recommended for the given RDS Instance.
- DB Edition: Which Database Edition is recommended for the given RDS Instance.
- Region: Region chosen for the Design.
- Deployment: Deployment option for the RDS Instance.
- vCPU: Recommended CPU.
- Memory: Recommended memory (Wherever available the On-Prem memory of SQL Instance is picked, if not available the instance memory is picked).
- Storage: Recommended Storage.
- Storage Cost: Total Annual Storage Cost.
- Instance Cost: Total Annual RDS Instance Cost.
- Total Cost: Total Cost Overall
- Packed: Drill down to see which SQL Instances are packed into each RDS Instance recommended.
- The following information is available for each SQL Instance:
- Database Instance Name: On-Premise SQL Instance Name discovered.
- Instance Name: On-Premise VM name.
- On-Prem Edition: On-Premise SQL Edition discovered.
- Version: On-Premise SQL Version discovered.
- Group: Cloudamize Group of the VM.
- Asset: Cloudamize Asset of the VM.
- vCPU: vCPU discovered on Premises.
- Complexity: Rolled-Over complexity calculated for the instance using SCT report output. The value of this is a hyper link which can be used to see a detailed complexity summary.